Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Paging Dr. Wesson


Emily
My niece, Emily, scored a touchdown today; she ran for a 2-point conversion, and she kicked an extra point! Wow! What, you didn’t realize I have a niece who plays football? Actually, I don’t, but since I’m the mother of a former football player, the football analogy is handy and complimentary.

Emmy is smarter than I could ever hope to be. She knows more about math, biology, chemistry (and all that other stuff) than ever I could have learned. I do believe it’s a right-brain/left-brain thing, and quite obviously, Em has the side that I don’t possess.

Emily has worked so diligently for the past few years; she has made many sacrifices, keeping her eye on the prize. Her reward: a score of 32 on the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT). If, like me, you’re asking whether that’s good – yes, it is very good. Like Harvard Med good.

Her parents feel like they’ve just won the Super Bowl; they’ve been coaching her from the sidelines since she was a little girl. Her dad has run in plays, and her mom has patched her up when needed. They have been her biggest cheerleaders on the sidelines. The rest of us have cheered often and loudly from the stands. Occasionally, we’ve been known to sing a fight song, or two. 

Dr. Wesson! Paging Dr. Wesson! Oh, I like the sound of that! Congratulations, sweet girl – we’ll be in the stands cheering you on as you enter medical school. And we just might learn a new fight song, or two!

2 comments:

  1. CONGRATS TO ALL- IT TAKES A VILLAGE YOU KNOW.
    HOW WONDERFUL! IT'S SUCH A BLESSING TO HAVE KIDS WHO ARE AMAZING! I KNOW!
    KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!
    BE BLESSED!
    LORIE

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does, doesn't it - take a village? Thank you, Lorie, I'll pass along your kind comments to Carrie.

    ReplyDelete