Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The Dogs We Love




My family often asks me why I enjoy so much the dogs in my life. They wonder about how I’m able to pet-sit for four big Labs, and how I “tolerate” Marley’s little idiosyncrasies. Try as I might, I’m never able to explain just how much I love these dogs. But I do. And that’s all that matters, really.

If your dog owns your heart, well then, you know what I’m talking about. And you may agree with me that the feelings are really inexplicable. There is something intuitive between you and the dogs you love. Sometimes they know what you’re feeling even before you recognize it. Joy, pain, sadness – they’re by your side to comfort or rejoice, whichever, makes no nevermind to them.

Lark, Bella and Jake
Dogs are the best listeners. All of the five Labs I love, Marley, Bella, Coco, Lark and Jake, and the Golden, Lucy, listen when I talk to them. They let me prattle on about nothing and, conversely, each looks me in the eye when I’m addressing him or her on a particular subject. How many of you can say the same of your children? I cannot. And I can tell by the look in their eyes that sometimes they think I’ve lost my mind. As I've said, they're very intuitive. When I ask a question,a tilt of the head is usually the physical response, as if they’re saying, “Tell me more”.  If they tire of hearing my voice, I’ll oftentimes hear that familiar deep sigh, and they’ll relax into the floor (or whatever piece of furniture is handy) and close their eyes. They don’t mind if I just keep talking.

Oh, and they’re pretty comical; Coco, for instance, is a kleptomaniac. She’ll very politely steal a shoe, or a nail file, or whatever, and then she’ll look at you with the sweetest look, always careful to remain just out of your reach (and always careful never to be photographed with the evidence).

Coco
Marley is the most polite dog I’ve ever known. I give the credit to my son who did all of the training during his first year, and who continues to work with him. Marley survived a year of frat house living, so I think that makes his polite nature quite impressive.

Marley
What Lab doesn’t love a tennis ball – to the point of obsession? Lark is unique in that she will actually share her ball, which is very unusual for a Lab.

Lark
They are fun and funny, and they each own a piece of my heart. And there is one universal truth on which I think we can all agree: some of the purest unconditional love we’ll ever know is given to us by the dogs we love. 

Lucy and Marley

2 comments:

  1. Dogs are the best listeners. So true! They watch, they listen, they love the sound of our voice. They'll follow us to the ends of the earth. Nothing compares to the love of a dog. They ask for little and give so much more. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for making the time to read my blog, Stephanie. Maybe it will look as good as yours some day - at least I'm hoping. So good to hear from you.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete